Does your dog help with chores? Walk your kids to the bus? Does he or she know exactly what you need, right when you need it?
If your dog truly is a farmer’s best friend, enter your four-legged pal in the 2018 Favorite Farm Dog Contest! To enter, use the app below to submit your favorite photo and an essay sharing your dog’s best stories — and exactly why he or she should be Prairie Farmer’s 2018 Favorite Farm Dog.
Here’s how to complete your entry:
1. Start with the basics: your first and last name, your age (applicants must be 14 years old or older), your mailing address and contact information.
2. Don’t forget to check the “Terms of Service” box.
3. Upload the best possible photo of your pup. Select a high-resolution (300 dpi) photo that shows his or her sparkling personality.
4. In the essay space, include your dog’s name, breed and age.
5. Finally, in 300 words or less, use the essay space to tell us what makes your dog the perfect canine candidate. Be sure to share his or her best farm dog skills, daily activities and attributes.
The top dog’s human will receive a complete photo shoot of their four-legged hero on the farm, on the job, and with and without family members, plus a 16-by-20-inch Modern Metals wall art featuring their favorite farm dog photo, complete with the winning credentials. In addition, the first-place farm dog will receive $100; second place will win $75; and third place will receive $50.
What’s even better? The favorite farm dog winner earns a lifetime of bragging rights and appears on the cover of Prairie Farmer magazine.
Last year, Colby, a 4-year-old Australian shepherd from Rosamond, Ill., won first prize for his ability to herd cattle as easily as he snuggles poults — a calm and gentle soul who’s eager to please and quick to obey. He also sports handkerchiefs for both work and dress.
Owners Missy and Dustin Cothern entered Colby, and Dustin says he’s sure about one thing in this life: his dog.
“They say you only get one good dog in life, and I believe it. That’s Colby for us,” Dustin says. Colby works hard on their farm, where they raise Texas longhorn cattle, Hereford hogs, chickens, turkeys, geese, goats and a few horses.
Second-place honors went to Shelby, a 1-year-old Australian shepherd from Avon, Ill., who helps the Hendel family show cattle. Folks can find Shelby walking cattle to tie-outs, loading trailers and catching the occasional rest in between jobs.
Third-place honoree Sammi Grace went from stray to fur baby about seven years ago. Tim and Delreen Lenz, Strasburg, Ill., rescued Sammi Grace and turned her into a well-rounded farm dog and companion.
So whether your dog is your farmhand, protector, family or best friend, be sure to send your favorite stories and best photo to Prairie Farmer by March 26. Send digital entries using the form below.